Sound Devices PIX 240i features an IPS (In-Plane Switching) display. This new technology yields a brighter, sharper image with improved color accuracy and excellent off-axis performance. This attractive display provides immediate confirmation of recording, playback, audio metering, and Setup Menu selections. Monitor brightness, contrast and chroma adjustments are available for customized viewing needs.
Apple ProRes and Avid DNxHD video formats have emerged as industry standards. These I-frame codecs offer the best in picture quality, processing efficiency, and data storage requirements. They are ideal for editing, on-the-fly color grading, and video processing. Files recorded in the field on a PIX recorder are ready for the most popular editorial workflows.
Superb Audio Performance
With deep expertise in production audio and hard drive-based audio recorders, Sound Devices built the PIX recorders with the highest audio performance. The audio circuitry on the PIX 220 and PIX 240 are based on Sound Devices award-winning 7-Series Digital Audio Recorders. The low-noise (-128 dBu equivalent input noise), high-bandwidth inputs are mic/line switchable and include limiters, high-pass filters, and 48V phantom power. The audio source is menu-selected between embedded HDMI audio, embedded HD-SDI audio (PIX 240 only) or balanced audio connected to PIX.
- Premium microphone preamps, on balanced XLR, mic/line selectable with 48V phantom, limiters, high-pass
- -128 dBu input noise, 115 dB dynamic range A/D
- AES3 digital inputs 2 x 2 channels (PIX 240)
- Two-channel, line level balanced output on 5-pin XLR
- Embedded audio on HDMI, 2 channels
- Embedded audio on HD-SDI, 8 channels (PIX 240)
- High output, low-noise headphone amp
The PIX 240 offers both HD-SDI and HDMI input and simultaneous HD-SDI and HDMI outputs.
Time Code and Genlock
Additionally, the PIX 240 has a tunable, high-accuracy time code generator/reader by Ambient complete with Genlock (or word clock) output. The time code source can be derived from an HD-SDI stream, from an external jammed source, or from the built-in generator.
AES3 Digital Audio
In addition to its high-performance analog audio inputs, the PIX 240 accepts AES3 digital audio. Sound Devices field mixers and recorders, including the MixPre-D, 552, and 7-Series recorders, output AES digital audio. Up to four digital audio inputs on two XLR connectors are accepted.
PIX 240 includes an external eSATAp connector for direct, powered connection to large SATA storage volumes.
PIX 240 Input Flexibility
- HDMI input accepts(480i, 525i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p), v1.3
- HD-SDI input accepts (480i, 525i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p)
Both the PIX 220 and PIX 240 offer powerful, hardware-based video scalers. Realtime conversion among video formats, including 1080i, 1080p, and 720p, are set with a simple menu selection. Conversion between interlaced and progressive, as well as frame rate conversion is available in realtime. For instance, some cameras set to record 24ps send 1080i 60 over HDMI or HD-SDI. PIX recorders can be set to convert the 1080i 60 stream back to 24p with no loss in quality.
- Up/Down/Cross Conversion of 480i, 525i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
- 3:2 Pull Down Removal to Record 24p from 60i Signal
- File Formats
- Apple ProRes 422 (Proxy/LT/422/422HQ)
- Avid DNxHD 36, 145, 220 Mb/s, 8- and 10-bit, available as an option
- .mov Quicktime File Wrapper
- All audio contained within the single .mov file
PIX 220 and PIX 240 record and play back Quicktime files to either removable CompactFlash cards or removable 2.5-inch SSD (solid-state drive). Both CompactFlash and SSD media are formatted by PIX recorders as UDF volumes. UDF-formatted media are not limited to 4 GB file sizes like FAT32-formatted media. Additionally, UDF volumes are cross-platform, being directly mountable, readable, and writable in Mac OS and Windows.
The flexible PIX-CADDY accessory provides triple-interface connectivity for SSDs: FireWire 800, eSATAp, and USB 3.0 (USB 2.0 backward-compatible). eSATAp offers drive powering and 3 Gb/s transfer rate over a single cable.
Large, illuminated, tactile record controls are easy to access with gloved hands.
PIX recorders are controlled by a side panel rotary control and four front-panel buttons. These simple controls give quick access to setups. The large LCD display makes navigating among available setups fast and simple. LANC can be used with a LANC controller to start and stop PIX recorders./p>
The PIX 220 and PIX 240 include a generous 5-inch, matte finish, 800×480 pixel LCD display (pre-production 4.3-inch screen shown in images on page). The display is essential in the field and provides immediate confirmation of recording, playback, audio metering, and Setup Menu selections.
PIX recorders are built for field use with their durable, light weight, metalized, molded carbon fiber chassis. Its advanced thermal design keeps the unit cool in extreme environments like the nasty, blowing, sandy desert environment of Las Vegas.
PIX recorders are powered by either external DC power or two removable Sony L-type batteries. External power uses a Hirose 4-pin connection and accepts voltages from 10-18 VDC. Numerous PIX cabling options are available to power the unit from external DC. The back-side of the recorder accepts one or two Sony L-type batteries. The PIX recorder operates as its own battery charger when the unit is powered off and plugged into AC with the supplied adapter.
For cameras with HDMI I/O only, the PIX 220 is a great choice. It records to the same Apple ProRes and Avid DNxHD formats as the PIX 240. The PIX 220 is perfect for smaller-format high-definition cameras where time code workflows are not required. The PIX 220 includes the same, powerful hardware scaler as the PIX 240.
- Apple ProRes or Avid DNxHD* codec at multiple data rates
- Quicktime file type
- 12-bit 4:4:4 recording
- Ultra low-noise (-128 dBu) mic preamps with phantom, limiters, line input (based on 7-Series recorders)
- CompactFlash or removable 2.5-inch solid-state hard drives file storage with media spanning, UDF format for Mac OS and Windows compatibility
- High-accuracy built-in time code generator, with genlock and word clock output (PIX 240 only)
- 5-inch, matte finish, 800×480 pixel display
- Large, illuminated, tactile buttons for fast and simple menu control
- Simultaneous HDMI and HD-SDI output (PIX 240 only)
- Up/Down/Cross Conversion of 480i, 525i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
- 336-core, 32-bit massively parallel processor with 1.2 TeraOps for efficient video encoding
- 10-18 VDC and dual L-series battery powering
- Metalized, molded carbon fiber chassis