Sound Devices 788T-SSD Overview
The Sound Devices 788T-SSD is a powerful eight input, 8 track digital audio recorder designed for production sound. Its full featured 8 inputs, accept either mic or line level and can be selected for 48 volt phantom powering. Also included are peak limiters and fully adjustable high-pass filters. Each input can be routed to mixed tracks or isolated tracks.
The 788T has several options available for recording media but features the new 256GB Solid State Drive.
This drive has several distinct advantages:
- vast internal storage capacity, continuous recordings of over 60 hours of 24 bit, 8-track audio
- increased transfer speed versus a spinning hard drive
- increased immunity to shock and temperature extremes
- zero acoustical output
- reduced power draw while recording
The Sound Devices 788T-SSD offers Removable Compact Flash, or External Firewire hard drive or DVD-RAM with bus powering. Any or all can be recorded simultaneously. The 788T-SSD also provides 8 channels of balanced AES3 digital input and 6 channels of balanced AES3 output.
Time code is generated and read with the highest accuracy and includes an auto-record feature to chase external rec-run video sources. Metadata can be entered via USB keyboards.
Based on the 788T, the Sound Devices 788T-SSD includes a factory-supplied 256 GB solid-state hard drive, which allows for superior performance in the field. The new model features enhanced data storage and transfer speed while improving its durability to be nearly impervious to shock.
Sound Devices introduced solid-state recording with CompactFlash cards for the 7-Series recorders in 2004 and the feature is available in all Sound Devices 7-Series recorders. The inclusion of an internal 256 GB solid-state drive (SSD) in the 788T-SSD gives it the ability to record over 60 hours of uncompressed, 24-bit, eight-track audio to solid-state medium, providing users with the best in audio quality, durability and extended record time.
In addition to its superior shock immunity, the SSD drive used in the 788T-SSD enhances data transfer due to its increased transfer speed. The high-performance SSD medium in the 788T-SSD has faster read and write speeds than the 160 GB hard drive in the standard 788T. Like the standard 788T, the 788T-SSD is equipped with eight full-featured microphone inputs and twelve tracks of recording. In a stainless-steel and aluminum chassis weighing less than four pounds and roughly the size of a hard-covered novel, the 788T accommodates individual controls and connectors for each of its eight inputs, plus numerous additional I/O and data connections.
The Basics of the 788T
The 788T is a powerful eight input, twelve-track digital audio recorder designed for production sound. Building on the success of the proven 7-Series architecture, the 788T offers greatly expanded input and output connectivity while continuing the 7-Series heritage of extensive control in a compact package.
Its eight full-featured inputs ensure superb audio quality. They accept either microphone or line-level signals, provide 48 V phantom power for condenser microphones, offer peak limiters for microphone inputs, and fully adjustable high-pass filters. Support for AES42 digital microphones is also available. Extensive routing flexibility allows each input to be routed to left/right mixed tracks, isolated tracks, or aux tracks. With optional CL-8 Controller, the 788T is even easier to use, making the combination a flexible mixer/recorder, with lots of operational flexibility.
The 788T has three options for recording media, internal 160 GB SATA hard drive, CompactFlash media with UDMA support, or an external FireWire hard drive or DVD-RAM (with bus powering). Any or all of these can be used simultaneously. Additionally, when connected to Mac OS, or Windows computers with high-speed USB or FireWire 400/800, the 788T functions as a high-speed mass storage device.
To simplify interconnection with mixers and cameras with AES3 connectivity, the 788T has eight channels of balanced AES3 digital input and six channels of balanced AES3 output. The 788T can be clocked from external word clock or from video sync. The 788T has a high-accuracy time code reader/generator on board. It includes auto-record features to chase external rec-run video sources. To simplify metadata entry the 788T directly accepts USB keyboards. Keyboard shortcuts can be programmed to control menu items and machine transport. The extensive power of the 788T simplifies any production sound setup.
- – Eight mic/line inputs, each controlled with front panel, pop-out gain controls
- – 12-track recording, to record iso’s, stereo mix track, and two-track aux, Aux1, Aux2
- – Each input has solo headphone monitoring, 48 V phantom, limiter, polarity reverse, high-pass, and selectable delay
- – Selectable sampling rate converters on each digital input
- – Sampling rate selectable up to 96 kHz
- – AES42 digital microphone support
- – Backlit LCD display viewable in any environment
- – 8 x 13-segment Peak/VU meters with arm LED
- – Word clock in and out with tri-level video sync support
- – Time code generator supports all data rates; holds time code for four hours with no power sources attached
- – Internal 160 GB, 2.5-inch SATA hard drive
- – CompactFlash slot with UDMA support
- – Powered by removable Li-ion rechargeable batteries
- – External DC power input operates unit and charges Li-ion battery
- – Back panel multi-pin connector for one-cable connection to digital mixing board (AES input/output, power, switch closure in/out)
- – FireWire 400/800 and USB 2.0 connections for ultra-fast file tranfer between 788T’s CF and HDD to computer
- – USB keyboard input for control
- – Aluminum & stainless-steel chassis for exceptional durability and light weight
- – Designed for the same operational environmental extremes as Sound Devices field mixers