Sound Devices 552 Key Features
- Inputs: Five high-performance microphone inputs with two-stage gain control, limiter, variable high-pass, and solo monitoring
- Pre- or post-fader direct outputs per input
- Multiple, balanced output connections, including XLR, Hirose 10-pin, and TA3
- AES/EBU output option, two connections for four channels of digital output, sampling rates up to 96 kHz
- Integrated digital recorder with simple control records to SD or SDHC media
- Records uncompressed Broadcast WAV up to 96 kHz sampling or MP3 files
- Accepts time code input to time-stamp recorded audio files
- Flexible metering modes, including zoom metering for high precision near 0 dBfs
- Voice-confirmation appear in headphones for critical operational information and when navigating Setup Menu
- Lightweight design uses metalized, molded carbon fiber top and bottom panels for durability and strength
- Front panel is gasketed for protection from weather
- Powered by four-AA batteries or external 10-18 VDC
Superior Performance and Control
Sound Devices 552 Production Mixer, the most technologically advanced portable audio mixer ever made. Using the best analog and digital technologies, along with advanced mechanical construction, the 552 gives professionals a superb sounding, compact, lightweight and power-efficient mixer that is equally at home in simple run-and-gun applications or in complex multi-input, multi-output production setups.
The 552 contains five precision high-dynamic-range transformer-balanced microphone inputs with expanded gain and headroom. Each input accepts audio sources of various types and levels. Inputs have their own limiter, sweepable high-pass filter, and pre-or-post-fade direct output.
The Sound Devices 552 has an integrated digital audio recorder writing industry-standard Broadcast Wave files to SD and SDHC media. A simple joystick controller is used to take command of recording functions. Push up to begin recording. Either WAV or MP3 files can be recorded. Recordings can be either 24 or 16 bit, with WAV files having sampling rates from 32 kHz up to 96 kHz.
With its three sets of balanced master outputs (plus numerous unbalanced connections), the 552 provides complete connectivity for multi-camera and complex production setups. Additionally, a digital output option is available for the XLR master outputs. When selected in the Setup Menu, the master XLR outputs can output four channels or 24-bit (or 16-bit) AES/EBU signals, the source of which is selected in the Setup Menu.
The Sound Devices 552, like all Sound Devices professional audio products, are designed to withstand the physical and environmental extremes of field production. The 552 uses molded, metalized carbon fiber top and bottom chassis panels for increased durability and weight reduction. Additionally, its front panel is gasketed for improved resistance to moisture.