The Nagra Seven has been designed as the successor to the Nagra LB, ARES-C and the ARES-BB+ recorders, as well as to fill a gap in the current market. It is designed to be a flexible device and can be adapted to a multitude of specific applications depending on the internal options installed. The base machine is a 2 channel 24-bit digital recorder offering sampling frequencies up to 192 kHz, and is equipped with AES 42 facilities for digital microphones. Identical in size to the LB, the Seven offers a selection of internal optional circuit cards to allow it to be adapted according to requirements. These hardware options consist of 3G and Wifi, SMPTE/EBU time code or ISDN communication possibilities. In addition there are software options for internal audio editing and audio compression (MPEG).
The Seven offers two analogue audio inputs and a single stereo digital input. It will record in PCM linear audio at sampling frequencies up to 192 kHz or in MPEG-1 layer II compressed audio formats if the compression option is installed. The inputs are equipped with traditional Nagra microphone pre-amplifiers for dynamic and phantom +48V microphones and offer a range of switchable sensitivities to accomadate all common microphones. AES-42 microphones can also be used as the recorder can supply the necessary 10V dc supply voltage on the AES input, which is also equipped with a smple rate converter.
The analogue LINE input will accept up to +24dB allowing it to be connected to a standard audio mixer in the field.
The Nagra Seven has a state-of-the-art color touchscreen allowing greater flexibility in the display modes and screens, but also eliminating all switches which are the weakest link in modern electronics.
The audio levels, current operating mode and status of the recorder are shown on the touchscreen display mounted on the front of the unit. The screen is sunlight readable, and gives access to the entire menu structure of the recorder.
Various programmable “short cuts” are available giving many personalization possibilities.
The Nagra Seven is fitted with an internal 16GB micro SD flash memory. The main extractable media is an SD memory card which inserts into the slot on the left side of the recorder (see picture above). An external USB storage device may also be connected to the USB port using an adaptor interface cable.
USB 2.0 port
A micro-AB USB port allows the unit to be connected to a computer for file transfer. With an interface adaptor, the same port can also be used to connect an external device such as a USB memory stick or computer keyboard for data entry.
Editing and communication
If the optional editing option is installed, then graphic editing of the audio files is possible on the main display. Once the editing of the audio material is complete, files can be transmitted to the studio either over IP (through the ethernet connection using the File Transfer Protocol “FTP” connection) or via a GSM phone using 3G or by Wifi (if the option is installed). An optional I.S.D.N. board can replace the time code circuit for digital transmission over the I.S.D.N. network.
SMPTE / EBU Time code
The Nagra Seven has an optional internal time code board that works with all currently accepted frame rates including those for HD TV. It will handle both drop and non-drop frame rates, and will allow pull-up/down too.
Start / Stop
A 3.5mm miniature Jack socket is fitted for remote fader start/stop commands. This will allow the unit to be remotely controlled by a simple switch closure according to the current operational mode.
The Nagra Seven powered by a lithium-polxmer rechargeable battery pack, that will power the unit for about 8 hours. However, if transmission options such as WiFi or 3G are used the battery life will be reduced. Rechargable “AA” cells or even dry cells (in an emergency) can also be used in the supplied battery compatment.
Select from drop down menu above
- SEVEN- Stereo digital recorder, 24/192 with AES 42 and internal 16GB memory: Delivered with: Battery box/charger, power supply, and Instruction manual on SD card
- SEVEN TC- Stereo digital recorder, 24/192 with AES 42, internal 16GB memory and internal Time Code: Delivered with battery box/charger, power supply, QCTCU time code cable, and Instruction manual on SD card
- SEVEN W3- Stereo digital recorder, 24/192 with AES42, internal 16GB memory, internal WiFi / 3G option: Delivered with battery box/charger, power supply, WiFi antenna and Instruction manual on SD card
- SEVEN ISDN- Stereo digital recorder, 24/192 with AES 42, internal 16GB memory and internal ISDN codec and audio compression: Delivered with battery box/charger, power supply and Instruction manual on SD card
- SEVEN ISDN W3- Stereo digital recorder, 24/192 with AES 42, internal 16GB memory and internal ISDN codec, audio compression and WiFi / 3G option: Delivered with battery box/charger, power supply, WiFi antenna and Instruction manual on SD card