The MixPre-D sets a new standard for compact, high-performance portable audio mixers. Designed specifically for audio professionals needing the most flexible connectivity, the MixPre-D is ideal for any production application where capturing great sound is important, but size and weight are a concern.
At the heart of the MixPre-D are two studio-grade mic/line inputs with limiters, high-pass filters and available phantom power. Inputs can be linked in standard or MS mode for stereo recording applications. All of these input functions are configured with front panel controls.
To accommodate the increasing variety of cameras and devices used in production, the MixPre-D has incredible output flexibility. Outputs include balanced mic/line XLR, digital AES (XLR), dedicated consumer mic-level on a locking TA3 connector (designed specifically for DSLR-type inputs) and an aux-level output on 3.5 mm connection. Also there is a bracket for the DSLR allowing the MixPre-D to be mounted between the camera base and tripod. This creates a long awaited Sound Devices quality audio interface that can become an integral part of the camera system.
The “D” in MixPre-D indicates the infusion of extensive digital technology. In addition to 24-bit AES digital outputs, USB audio streaming is provided for Mac OS, Windows or Linux computers. When the MixPre-D is connected to a computer with a USB cable, the operating system recognizes it as a USB Audio Class compliant device. No driver installation is required.
A wide range of additional features in the MixPre-D make it a perfect complement to larger mixers, such as the Sound Devices 302 Compact Production Field Mixer and 552 Portable Production Mixer. These features include: MS stereo matrix, tone oscillator, internal slate microphone, return monitoring of both analog and USB audio, high-gain headphone output and two-AA battery or external 10-18 VDC powering.
The MixPre-D continues the heritage of Sound Devices original MixPre, which has been the go-to mixer for audio professionals that need the lightest, simplest and highest performance mixer available.
- Transformer-balanced mic/line selectable inputs
- 48-volt or 12-volt phantom power
- “Unclippable” input peak limiters, dual-mono or stereo linked operation
- Input panning to Left, Center, or Right outputs
- Mid-Side Stereo (MS) matrix with width control and front-panel channel flip
- Return can be used as ch3/ch4 aux-level inputs, selectable pan and level control
- High-pass filters, 80 Hz or 160 Hz
- Slate microphone and tone oscillator
- Mic/Line/AES digital selectable outputs, digital SR of 44.1 , 48 , or 96 kHz
- 24-bit, class-compliant USB streaming output for interconnection with Mac OS, Windows, Linux, and select iOS devices, computer audio in MixPre-D headphones
- Dedicated mic-level output on locking TA3 connector for unbalanced camera inputs
- Headphone monitoring of program audio or external return audio
- Sunlight-viewable, 16-segment GaN LED output meter with adjustable brightness
- Internal battery-power from two AA
- External power input, 10-18 VDC
- High-strength, extruded aluminum chassis with metal connectors